Saturday, March 3, 2012

Love Undiminished by Adversity

"Because of your regret and pity for my suffering, never again shall the dogwood tree grow large enough to be used as a cross. Henceforth it shall be slender and bent and twisted and its blossoms shall be in the form of a cross, two long and two short petals. In the center of the outer edge of each petal there will be nail prints, brown with rust and stained with red, and in the middle of the flower will be a crown of thorns, and all who see it will remember ..."
http://www.promiseofgod.com/dogwood/

To Tattoo or Not Tattoo

I've been contemplating for some time now whether I should bite the bullet and mark myself for life with a tattoo.  Being a Libra, I'm quite indecisive and I'm afraid that once I get the tattoo, I will want it off regardless of what it is.  Lately, with the loss of my uncle and the fact that no one else is getting any younger, I've been putting more thought into creating the perfect mark.

I want something with meaning and I've always said that I'd like to have a flower or tree as a reminder of my grandparents and/or initials in an intricate way for family members or my children, if I even have children(that's a whole other chapter).   Listen to me, its sounds as if my grandparents are already gone. Shame on me. They aren't, I'm extremely blessed to have both sets of grandparents still.  I just like to be prepared. :)

When I was a little one, I spent a lot of my time with my moms parents (Grampy and Meme) participating in their favorite past time. They are avid gardeners.  Which has been passed down the line to their children and grandchildren.  We would spend time weeding the garden, planting in planters, replanting/repotting favorite flowers and bushes to create a picture perfect garden. I remember one spring my grandparents gave my mom and dad two Dogwood trees to plant in our front yard.  Together we named one of them Grampy and the other Meme so they'd always be close. It seems only right that the Dogwood Flower be the base of my tattoo.

Also, as I was looking into the meaning of the Dogwood Flower, one resource explained the meaning as 'love undiminished by adversity' if that isn't appropriate based on past relationships, I don't know what else could be.
Now, only if I could create the rest of the tattoo and find the cojones to committ to something so permanent.
Advice and ideas welcome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment